If there’s anything worse than shelling out a fortune for a salon-quality dye job, it’s having the color fade or grow dull shortly after you leave. People spend hundreds on professional treatments only to have their efforts go to waste because of poor maintenance and upkeep. The good news is that with consistent care, you can keep your hair looking just as vibrant as when it was freshly dyed — no matter which shade you choose. In this blog post, I’ll share some tips and tricks to ensure your hue remains luminous long after leaving the beauty parlor. High-impact strategies and time-tested methods combine to create powerful results that will keep any head of hair boasting its original shade in no time!
Reasons behind your hair color fading quickly
- Damage from Sun Exposure: The sun’s UV rays can cause oxidative damage to the hair, fading color and breaking down the pigment molecules that make up your natural or dyed color.
- Shampooing Too Often: Washing your hair too often can strip away essential oils from the scalp and weaken the protective outer layer of cuticles which hold your hair’s pigment together. Over time, this can result in fading color quicker than normal.
- Harsh Hair Care Products: Certain products, such as sulfates and other harsh ingredients used in shampoos and conditioners, can cause color-stripping on your locks, leaving them duller and less vibrant over time.
- Heat Styling: Use of heat tools such as blow-dryers, curlers, and flat irons can cause damage to the hair, which results in color fading.
- Bleaching or Coloring Too Often: Excessive bleaching or dying can weaken the hair strands and lead to faster pigment breakdown and duller colors. It is important to limit these activities if you want to maintain your healthy hair color for longer.
- Swimming: Chlorine in swimming pools can strip away your locks’ natural oils, making it more prone to breakage, dryness, and color fading due to sun exposure while being present in the pool water.
- Stress: Believe it or not, stress causes many problems for the body, including hair loss, graying, and color fading. This is due to a hormone called cortisol released in response to stress, which also affects your hair follicles.
Making hair color last: pro tips for stunning and vibrant coloring results
Making hair color last is all about maintaining healthy hair and using the right products. There are a few key steps to follow for vibrant and stunning coloring results that will last.
- Use high-quality haircare products explicitly formulated for colored hair: Look for shampoos, conditioners, and styling products designed specifically for dyed or highlighted hair. These products will help keep your color looking vibrant and prevent fading over time.
- Avoid hot water temperatures when washing your hair: Hotter water can strip away natural oils that protect the cuticle of your hair, allowing color to fade faster. Instead, stick with lukewarm or cool water when you shampoo and rinse as it’s gentler on colored locks and helps maintain vibrancy.
- Use a deep-conditioning treatment once or twice a week: Regularly conditioning your hair helps to keep it moisturized and healthy, which can help prevent fading of color. Look for treatments that are rich in nourishing ingredients like argan oil, almond oil, shea butter, and honey.
- Avoid overstyling with hot tools: Heat styling can damage your hair and weaken the dye molecules in colored strands, causing them to fade more quickly. Let your hair air dry whenever possible and avoid using heat tools as much as possible. When you do use heated styling tools, make sure to apply a heat protectant product beforehand.
- Try an anti-fade haircare system: Haircare systems are available that specialize in preserving the color, such as color-safe shampoos and conditioners. In addition, look for systems containing special proteins and UV protectants to help keep your hair looking vibrant and healthy.
By following these pro tips, you can ensure that your hair color will look vibrant and stunning for longer. Investing in the right products and treatments can help maintain your hair’s health and your color’s longevity. With a bit of extra care, you’ll be able to enjoy beautiful locks for longer!